If a call is suicide related and the phone number is busy, please call the toll free National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255).
The Crisis Center is a member of the American Association of Suicidology. For more information, please visit www.suicidology.org.
ABOUT THE CRISIS LINE
- If I call, who will talk with me?
- Our telephone counselors are volunteers that have completed extensive training.
- What can I talk about with a telephone counselor?
- Anything. Typical topics include: Assistance with basic needs, such as food and shelter, Friendships, Relationships, Family Issues, Drug Abuse, Alcohol Abuse, Sexual Issues, Depression, Anger, Loneliness, Suicide, Health Issues, Divorce...no concern is off limits.
- What can I expect when I call and talk to a counselor?
- Our counselors are trained to treat each caller with respect and dignity. The counseling process typically involves the following steps: (1) Developing an understanding of your unique situation, (2) Working with you to explore possible options, and (3) Assisting you in deciding the best option for your situation. Counselors are not judgmental. Counselors realize that each caller has a unique situation that requires a unique approach and plan of action.
- Can I get additional help for specific needs?
- Yes, referrals for services like support groups and counseling, and assistance with basic needs, such as food and shelter, are available. Counselors are trained to work with callers to identify any additional services that may be required. Our counselors will provide the necessary referral information, such as an agency name, address, phone number, and location, in order for you to contact the agency and make arrangements for the additional services.
- So when can I call?
- The Crisis Suicide Line is open 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
- If I have more questions about the Crisis Suicide Line, who can I call?
- If you have more questions about the Crisis / Suicide Line, you should contact the CSL Coordinator at (205) 323-7736 at the Crisis Center.